Thursday, February 4, 2010

Yeah, that's right...

I am trying to get healthier.

I think I'm saying that to remind myself - not you, kind reader. I just haven't been doing everything that I could have been doing over the last week to get to that goal, so I need to give myself a little pep talk.

Today I definitely made better attempts to stick to my commitment. I had some tacos for lunch from The Flying Burrito - they had chicken, tomatoes, black olives, jalapenos and some cheese on soft tortillas. Not bad - nothing fried, at least (unlike Monday, when I ate Long John Silver's and knew with every bite that I was FAILING). Tonight, I had some homemade chicken soup with cabbage, carrots, onion, celery and rice. It was totally delicious, and helped me feel better about my efforts. I've made myself a pitcher of iced tea and am drinking it every night. One day at a time...

Not only was today successful in terms of my eating, but I also went to my second belly dance class tonight, and it kicked my ASS! I am absolutely blown away at the way my muscles feel after this class. I have trouble with a couple of the moves, the ones where I have to roll my back fluidly in an S-curve. It looks like my spine is fused... but I'm fairly confident that it's only a muscle tone issue. The core of my body is just so out of shape that I can't pull my spine around like I will when they're more toned. Thankfully, I'm not the only woman in the class who is wearing shirts that cover my belly! Several of the women are dancers, and they have gorgeous abs, and they wear little halter tops and skirts... I'm wearing my black yoga pants and a t-shirt. The belly can just stay hidden for a while longer. When I lose 20 pounds, I'll start letting it out.

So, it's been a tough week, but I did lose a half pound... and I'm on my way back on the right road. This healthy stuff is HARD.

3 comments:

  1. Long John Silvers would derail me everytime. Thankfully they aren't right around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. w00t! Belly Dancing = GOOD JOB! I think that's a great way to strengthen your core and have fun. I know several women over 40 who do it and love it.

    Another thing I have read and believe is that in staying healthy, a diuretic is essential. There's a guy who's been hired by Nationl Geographic to go round the world and try to document and discuss cultures with long lives, and one thing he said that they all seem to have in common is they drink a highly diuretic tea every day. The things that invade your body hang around in the fluids in your body, so flushing your fluids out a lot flushes the invaders out a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...also, I think you should get the Skinny Bitch book. Ignore the parts where they push vegan lifestyles, but the rest seems fairly well researched and honest. And I think you'd enjoy the writing itself. http://www.skinnybitch.net/

    ReplyDelete