Sunday, January 10, 2010

Get thee behind me saute pan!!

Okay, I'm not really ditching my saute pan... I'm not completely crazy. But it sounded good, right? The demonization of saute pans is not something I would be surprised to see in some of the "eating light" magazines on the market...

But I'm not here to demonize anything in particular. Or even to chronicle my "diet" (because I'm not going on a diet). I'm just going to make some serious changes this year in the way I interact with food. I'm going to be more conscientious about my intake, and make decisions about my meals and snacks that are based on whether or not I'm hungry (there's a novel idea) and whether or not the food I'm choosing is the healthiest option available.

I know what you're thinking. "But Laurie... sometimes I don't WANT the healthiest option." And you're right - sometimes it's a birthday party, and there is cake and ice cream. And sometimes there's a road trip and a 44 oz. drink and a paper boat full of chili cheese dog is required every bit as much as a cd player playing Under the Table and Dreaming...  BUT (or should I say BUTT) that is a choice that has to be dealt with. If I go for the chili cheese dog and 44 oz. soda - it's salad for dinner and an extra 30 minutes on the walk or the treadmill. That's what my world is going to be like from here out.

In this (new) blog of mine, I will not be focusing on how to make your favorite fattening foods non-fattening, or how to live life sans Sonic and Taco Bueno. Life would not be worth living without the 2-4pm happy hour and Taco Bueno's tamales! Instead, I'm going to focus on how to live live life - a HEALTHY life - with those things included. More activity, less refined sugar. More veggies, smaller portions. Stuff like that. Follow along if you like, and feel free to share with the class if you have a success story of your own, or some tips for slimming down and firming up and living healthier. I'm going to also be using the word "healthy" a lot... because that's what it's about for me. Not a size or shape, but my health.

And, here's where I sound like a hypocrite: the reason I'm starting this journey is because I looked at the scale recently and finally saw the number I refuse to accept. 200. I weigh two hundred pounds. I know there are a lot of people out there who way a lot more than I do (except Oprah, who weighs the same) - and I am also aware that I'm fortunate to have a body-type that allows me to carry a lot of weight without looking too out of proportion. But that number, and a couple of pictures of myself that have surfaced lately, have pushed me to the limit. This one is from the summer of 2008, when I was around 195. I'm in my 40s, I have a 5 year-old I would like to see grow up, and it only gets harder to get in shape from here. So, today's the day.

First steps I've taken this week:
Signed up for the online version of Weight Watchers. It's only $17.95 a month (and there's a special going on right now!) and they offer a tremendous amount of information on living healthy. I'm tracking my points there as a way to keep a kind of food journal, and am logging my weight each week. I'll also look there for recipes. If I find good ones I'll share. :)

Cut out colas. This is REALLY hard for me, even though when I had them it was usually only one 20 oz a day, sometimes not even that. But I still want to switch to tea or water in order to cut out the sodium and sugar and, in the case of the diets, the artificial sweeteners. Soda just isn't "natural", and I don't need it.

Now I need to start putting more physical activity in my routine... that's next on the list.

3 comments:

  1. Everyone has to start somewhere. The important thing is to start. I wish you much success. I myself just stopped smoking after having smoked since 1977 or so. I haven't smoked for 9 months now. Good luck on your endeavor.
    PussDaddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I stopped drinking sodas (mid to late 90s) I did two things at once - I stopped all soda intake (which pretty much meant all caffeine, except for tea, since I don't drink coffee) and I decided to stop eating fries.

    Interestingly, I didn't lose any weight, but I lost about 1 - 1.5 inches around my waist.

    You can do it. The more you stop eating the pre-packaged junk food, the less you crave it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh - and this is your brother. Just, ya know, sayin.

    ReplyDelete